If you are curious about Cortana, then you have come to the right place. Cortana is the digital assistant. She is always at your fingertips, ready to help you in finding anything the Windows 10 PC. It is all time ready and set to give you weather forecast and make sure that you don’t miss out on any particular update. Cortana is not enabled on your Windows 10 PC, but it doesn’t take much time to set her up. It is basically Microsoft’s version of Siri and Google’s Assistant, but it has been integrated right into Windows. With each of the update, Microsoft adds new features and new options to Cortana for making it more useful.
Sign in to get started
Cortana has a few basic functions that can be used without signing in. You can although get the most functionality of it if you are assigned into Microsoft account. For doing so within Cortana’s search window, Click the button that says “Cortana can do so much more.” Once prompted, click Sign in button and follow on screen instructions.
How to Enable Cortana
Cortana is inside that small search box that is at the right of your start button.
- Click inside the search box.
- You will see a settings icon t the left.
- With a click on that, you can manage settings related to Cortana.
- The first option will be a Microphone. It is the first step to use Cortana. If you have no microphone on your computer. Cortana can still be used, but it is not as useful without voice controls.
- Click on Get Started; It will try to detect your microphone and go through a wizard for checking the volume. Make sure that the mic is properly working. Once you are done with that, you can enable the other options listed too.
- First, one is Hey Cortana and start asking a question. It is very much similar to Hey Siri.
- Once you enable this feature, it will ask you to turn on the speech recognition.
- It will send your voice input to Microsoft for improving their speech systems.
- If you don’t like the voice commands being sent to Microsoft, You can just choose Maybe Later.
- You obviously give up some privacy when you enable Cortana because it requires to access your history, email, calendar, location and lots of other things too.
- You can also turn these off and on individually.
- Once you enable a setting, it will show up some more related options. For example- Hey Cortana feature will prevent your computer from sleeping by default so that it can hear you say those words.
- It also can respond to anyone or try to respond to just you.
- When you enable lock screen option, It will provide you Cortana tips even when your device is locked.
- It will itself give access to your calendar, email message and some other data when the device is locked.
- It will give access to your calendar, email message and other data when the device is locked by default.
- It is up to you if you want to uncheck that box.
- You will see more options as you scroll down.
- You can enable a keyboard shortcut to access Cortana rather than to say Hey Cortana.
- You also can download Cortana on your iOS and Android and have the notification synced among the devices.
- You can also choose whether or not to enable device history and search history towards the bottom.
- This is going to keep track of your searches, so toggle these depending on your privacy tolerance.
- You need to check your permissions next.
- Click on the little notebook icon that will be located below home Button.
- You will be presented with a list of items like Lists, about me, reminders etc.
- Click on Permissions first, you can turn off and on permissions for location, contacts, email etc.
When you start using Cortana, the search box will show up over the screen and give full-screen results. If you sit in front of your computer a lot, then Cortana becomes handy.