Despite its shortcomings, social media is a good way to document your life. They act as small time capsules that you can draw up to remember your opinions, likes and dislikes, experiences, and interests during some period of your life. It is a good way to look back on the times and see how you have grown. When Facebook introduced the ‘On This Day’ feature using which you can review your Facebook statuses and activity of that day, everyone was overjoyed and hoped for the same on Twitter.
The good news is that it is very much possible to relive your past on Twitter as well. For this, you need to make use of Timehop, a free social media platform that sends you alerts of what you tweeted a year ago. To do that, you need to sync your Twitter Archive with the Timehop application.
Here’s how you can sync your Twitter with Timehop:
How to Download Twitter Archive
- Launch your Web Browser and head to Twitter’s homepage.
- Enter your login credentials and sign into your Twitter account
- On the top-left corner of your Twitter’s home page, locate the Profile and Settings tab and click on Settings in the drop-down menu.
- Scroll below to find the Request your Archive button and click on it. You will receive a prompt informing you that the link to your archive will be emailed to your account. It may sometimes take as much as 2 hours for the link to be mailed to you.
- Head over to the email account linked to your Twitter profile. Click on the link of your Twitter Archive.
- You will be redirected to Twitter, where you will have to click on the blue Download Your download will begin automatically. Once the zip file is downloaded do not open it. If you do happen to open the archive, download it one more time.
How to Sync Twitter Archive with Timehop
- Launch your web browser and open the Timehop website.
- Click on the Upload your tweets.zip archive dialog box present in the middle of the screen.
- Browse through your local disk and find the twitter archive that you had downloaded. You can also drag and drop the twitter zip file directly on the dialog box.
- Once your archive has been uploaded, you will have to log into your Timehop account. Enter the login credentials of your Twitter account.
- Timehop will then sync with your Twitter archive. You will receive regular daily notifications reminding you of your Twitter activity of the past. Apart from the email notifications, if you have the Timehop app on your phone, you will receive notifications on your phone too.
How to Access Old Tweets Through the Timehop App
- Download and install the Timehop app on your phone (it will be available on your device’s play store)
- From the list of the social media platforms that Timehop can access, choose Twitter. Log in your Twitter ID and password to authorize the Timehop account.
- You can review your past tweets on the app. This data has been pulled up from the Twitter archive that you have uploaded.
Using Timehop, you can easily revisit your past tweets and walk down the path of sweet nostalgia.
Marshall Lyne is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cybersecurity, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at www.norton.com/setup .